Monday, October 27, 2014

  
          



  Death of Evangelist Alma L. Dickerson
It was the winter of 1978. I went away to an alcohol and drug treatment program called Christ Is The Answer (CITA) in Lawrence Massachusetts.   For approximately 3 months I would study the bible, and learn about living life without alcohol and drugs. This was a new experience for me, but finally I was learning to live life on life terms’ I would pray a lot, thinking about my mother all the time. Thinking about how she prayed every day at 12 noon, she wouldn’t mis a day The Director of the program Rev. Daniel Reason told me to go to his office.  First he asked me how I was doing, I said that I am doing fine. Then I asked him, why was I here?  I thought maybe I was in trouble. He said Larry your Mother is sick. My first thoughts were she is sick, but God is going to heal her. I was granted a pass to visit her in Beth Israel Hospital. I walked into her room she appeared to be very sick. I have seen her sick many times before. I wanted to cry, but I couldn’t cry, she looked at me and smiled, I was standing in front of her holding her hand clean and sober, she looked at me and said “only what you do for Christ will last” I left the hospital not knowing those words she spoke to me would be the last words I would hear her speak.   This was my mother she will never die.” She is super woman” She Love God too much. A very spiritual woman, a God fearing women. She would do things I thought only Jesus would do. Evangelist Alma Dickerson would go out to feed the homeless, talk to women and women about that were alcoholic and drug addicts. People with mental Illness. I would go with her to difference towns and cities, and there she would preach the gospel. Most of the time it would be in churches. A mother at home, she wanted me to stay around the house so I wouldn’t get into trouble. She allowed me to turn our basement into a teen center. I would have my band practice down there. A down to earth woman, she really knew how to have fun, she was hilarious. She would tell jokes and people would be falling out of their chairs. In reading the book tuesdays with Morrie, I began to think of my mother, how she was a woman of God, but at the same time she knew how to enjoy life. Now going back to Lawrence Mass. I started thinking and praying at the same time. What if she dies? Well I know she will be going home to be with the Lord. No God will heal her just like all those times before. Then I can remember hearing her say one of these day she is going to leave here and never return. The weekend was here I ask for a pass to go home. I heard my mother was discharged from the hospital      
.      

No comments:

Post a Comment